Tirthan Valley Trek
An adventure pilgrimage trek to the source of the tirthan river.
Season: April to October
Maximum Altitude: 4500 at Saketi
Leadership: Local Leader
Minimum Group Size: Minimum 4 Pax
Maximum Group Size: Maximum 12 Pax
Cost per person: On Request
KULLU / DELHI
Moderate to Strenous
Detailed Tour Program
Ropa to Rolla Ropa (1500m) to Rolla (2100m)
Walk through Ecozone of GHNP. Gentle gradient at the beginning of trek. Distance: 10 kms. Interactions with local villagers. Visit to hilltop shrine at Dingcha village.
Rolla to Nada Meadow (3300m)
Strenuous climb through oak and conifer forests. Visit a prominent ‘tree god’ and shrine near Chalocha (2450 m) from where the climb starts. Possible sightings of Himalayan Tahr or Black Bear. Nada meadow is very good place for bird watching. Distance: 12 kms.
Nada Meadow to Majhoni (3800m)
Steep descent through forests. Distance: 12 kms This forest is home to the endangered king of the birds “the Western Tragopan” (In the villages close to GHNP, the local name of Western Tragopan is Jujurana . Juju means bird and rana means king, i.e. the king of the birds). There is a local legend that the “Lord” created this pheasant and all the birds in the universe donated a feather each to give it color and unparalleled beauty. The male is one of the world’s most spectacular birds: black on the head, a deep crimson on face and mantle and orange on breast, the black belly and dark wings are spangled with star-like white specks. Though rare, with luck we might see them!
Majhauni – Tirath
And back to Majhauni Moderate gradient leading high above tree-line into the vast meadow of Tirath. Views of magnificent mountain panoramas and the opportunity to experience the holy pilgrimage destination sacred to the villagers of Tirthan valley. Here the trail ends and we continue the steep climb up wild meadows, streams and wildflowers. Rock towers rise above the glaciers and a half dozen waterfalls ring our high camp in the emerald meadows of Saketi (4000m). Distance: 16 kms
(Extended Tour Option of moving to Saketi and climbing Yeshe Peak or Chakri Peak for the mountaineers if so the trek halts here for a three days to explore the wildlife and the surroundings. Opportunities for individuals to explore the highest reaches of the GHNP, climb, photograph, write, draw…. whatever!
Majhauni to Nada
As we steeply rise above the Tirthan, its white water repeatedly crashing into boulders and creating small turquoise pools along its banks. The forest towers like a protective canopy, the pine, oak and deodar crowning together . The rhododendrons spill out of their pod, their bright flaming red robbing the shimmer off the silver oak. The footfalls get muffled by the lichen that has clawed over fallen leaves and pine needles.
Rest day at Nada The overwhelming bigness and silence of the surrounds helps spot an amazing array of birds without much effort — Tragopans, Koklash , Bulbuls, Laughing thrushes, White eyes, Flycatchers, Warblers and more. On the rest day one can explore the amazingly virgin trails surrounding the Nada Thatch , looping over boulders, padding softly through landslides, jumping over fallen trees, going uphill and downhill, cower under the alder, circle the poplar, tunnel under the willow all to find exotic shrubs and herbs such as Daphne, Desmodium, Indigofera, Soraria and Viburnum.
Nada to Rolla Today is a long day and could be broken into two days. The forests are as deep with visons of the slatey-headed parakeets whoosh down the gorge waving their long yellow tails at trekkers . Its also an occasion to walk down with fellow trekkers in the mist to see a rainbow dissolve in our souls. Some moments are better felt than seen, so be here.
Rolla huts and onwards to Ropa Trek ends.
The Total Price Includes
- Domestic Flight Ticket to and from Kullu-Delhi.
- All accommodation in the above mentioned properties (4 star + heritage hotels).
- All trek logistic support: porters, cooks, personal porter (to carry client’s main clothing and gear pack of each trekker).
- All meals during trek/tour.
- All ground transport in deluxe a/c Qualis Jeeps.
- A fluent English-speaking guide who will be with you from Day 01 to Day 15.
- All entrance fees to monuments in Delhi, all Great Himalayan National Park admission and Park Video & Camera fees.
- A list of required and suggested gear needed by trekkers will be provided to participants.
The Above Rates Do Not Inclludes
- International round-trip flight tickets from abroad to Delhi.
- RT airfare Delhi-Kullu Valley
- Changes in programs or flight schedules due to reasons like climate and geographical hazards
- Travel and flight insurance, emergency medical repatriation charges. Required by Great Himalayan National Park.
- Expenses of personal nature including: liquor/drinks, telephone calls, shopping, etc.
- Tips to porters and trekking staff.
- Any items not mentioned above
Enquire about this trip now